10 juli 2007

gushing waters and mini homes

hi. my new nickname is "gushing waters" because my body dumps bucketloads of sweat out of my pores every time it's humid. today was the hottest, most humid day of the year. i looked like i had just come out of a shower without toweling off. SOAKED. some people naturally sweat more than others. i am one of them. i inherited it from my dad, whose head sweats more than an ice-cold grape nehi in a warm room. yeah, fucking FUN.

my friend in chicago has introduced me to the small house movement, and i am totally excited about it. the only way i will probably EVER own a home is if i build it myself and build it SMALL. plus, small houses are much better, environmentally. plus, i have always loved coziness. the only two rooms of a house or apartment which must have lots of elbow room are the kitchen and the bathroom. i've always wanted to design and build my own home. when i was a kid, i spent hours drawing floor plans of houses. i thought about being an architect someday. my dad loves to draw floor plans, too. anyway, someday when i have my life partner and my animal companions and my social work/animal-assisted therapy stuff further along, i would like for us to build a house on a plain ol' cheap plot of land. it will be a little house that uses space maximally, creatively and cozily in the great scandinavian and japanese traditions. it'll have nooks and crannies and eccentricities and little oddities and surprises at every turn. it will be very energy-efficient and ecologically sound. it will be a cozy lair for us. the land around this little house will be partly open space for us to enjoy leisurely, as well as a japanese garden (which the huge window around the bathtub will look out onto).

it's too hot to eat hot food. i am gonna order delivery on some vegetarian sushi. tomorrow night, it will be cooler and i will make some madras lentils, green beans and rice.

i am gonna go out on the fire escape now. i'm excited that someday, i may actually be able to afford to own my own home! yay! and as for the next abode i live in, i am considering living in the bronx if i don't find an affordable place in manhattan north of columbia. all i want is a cozy, nice, cute, quiet little studio apartment with good kitchen counter space, a decent-sized bathroom with a window, and good feng shui in the apartment's layout. i just want my own tiny little spot in this huge metropolis. just one teeeeeny-tiny little spot of my very own!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger al said...

hey Mer,

Some thoughts: there might be studios open in Kat's building. I'll send her an email to see if she can get the landlord info. Also, can you build me and Kathy a house? And help us make it full of good energy?

xo,

Al

10/7/07 23:37  
Blogger al said...

hey Mer,

Some thoughts: there might be studios open in Kat's building. I'll send her an email to see if she can get the landlord info. Also, can you build me and Kathy a house? And help us make it full of good energy?

xo,

Al

10/7/07 23:37  
Blogger Blåbär Björn said...

thank you, but i realized that i don't wanna live in the south bronx or anywhere where i feel unsafe at night and have to hear "hey shorty!" every time i walk by young men. one of my colleagues here lives a bit further north in the bronx where she feels totally safe walking home late at night. i am gonna look in her 'hood as well as in northern madhatty.

helllllls yeah, i will build you two a house! just tell me what you want in your home and i will design one with your input. then we'll find a plot and build on it! :)

11/7/07 09:02  

Skicka en kommentar

<< Home